The Jester Race is the second album by melodic death metal band In Flames. It is the first album to feature Anders Fridén as the band's vocalist and Björn Gelotte as the drummer. A video for the song "Artifacts of the Black Rain" was also released. It was also the first album to feature the Jesterhead, the band's mascot.
After releasing The Jester Race, the band then toured with Samael, Grip Inc. and Kreator. The album was the band's second full-length album released following the more mainstream success of the 1994 EP, Subterranean. The Jester Race was recorded at Studio Fredman by Fredrik Nordström, who also contributed keyboards for the album.
The Jester Race is considered one of the greatest metal albums of all time. It ranked #79 on the website Metal Rules' list of 100 Greatest Metal Albums. It is also considered a classic album of the Gothenburg style of metal, along with At the Gates' Slaughter of the Soul and Dark Tranquillity's The Gallery, exhibiting the dual guitar leads, growled vocals and acoustic sections typical of the genre.
The song "Dead Eternity" is a re-recorded version of the song from Subterranean. "Dead God in Me" is also a re-recorded version of a song from Subterranean, although the song is named "The Inborn Lifeless" on the EP, only runs to 3:23 minutes and has different lyrics to "Dead God in Me".
- "Moonshield" - 5:02
- "The Jester's Dance" (Instrumental) - 2:09
- "Artifacts of the Black Rain" - 3:15
- "Graveland" - 2:47
- "Lord Hypnos" - 4:01
- "Dead Eternity" - 5:02
- "The Jester Race" - 4:51
- "December Flower" - 4:11
- "Wayfaerer" (Instrumental) - 4:41
- "Dead God in Me" - 4:16
- In Flames
- Anders Fridén − vocals
- Jesper Strömblad − lead guitars, acoustic guitars & keyboards
- Glenn Ljungström − lead guitars
- Johan Larsson − bass & backing vocals
- Björn Gelotte − drums & lead guitars
- Guest appearances
- Fredrik Nordström − keyboards
- Oscar Dronjak − vocal appearance on Dead Eternity
- Fredrik Johansson − lead guitar on December Flower
- Kasper Dahlqvist − keyboards on Wayfaerer
- Production and composition
- Produced by Fredrik Nordström and In Flames.
- Lyrical concept and song titles collaborated by Niklas Sundin and Anders Fridén.
- Lyrics on Dead Eternity by Jocke Göthberg.
- Engineered by Fredrik Nordström and Patrik Hellgren.
- Mastered by Staffan Olofsson.
- Logo by Glenn Ljungström.
- Artwork by Andreas Marschall.
- Photos by Kenneth Johansson.
- Layout by M&A Music art.