|Origin||Long Island, New York, USA|
|Years-Active||1989-1998, 2003 - present|
|Genre(s)||Technical death metal|
|Associated Acts||Mortuary, Decrepit Birth, Dying Fetus, Synesis Absorption, Decrepit Birth, Pyrexia|
Suffocation is an American death metal band that was formed in 1988 in Long Island, New York. The band comprises vocalist Frank Mullen, guitarists Terrance Hobbs and Guy Marchais, drummer Dave Culross and bassist Derek Boyer. Suffocation rose to prominence of death metal and created a blueprint for the genre for the 1990s with their 1991 debut album Effigy of the Forgotten. Suffocation released six studio albums.
The band's raw death metal style uses guttural vocals with a downtuned guitar sound, fast complex guitar riffs and drumming, and a sophisticated sense of songwriting. Blabbermouth.net described Suffocation's style as "brutal death metal".
Suffocation was formed in 1989 by vocalist Frank Mullen, bassist Josh Barohn, guitarists Guy Marchais and Todd German, and drummer Mike Smith. At that time, they played a style of Death metal influenced by Sepultura and Napalm Death. The band released their first album "Human Waste" in 1991 through Relapse Records. Later that year they would release their second LP "Effigy of the Forgotten" through Roadrunner Records.
In 1998 the band disbanded but later reunited in 2003.
Musical style and legacyEdit
The bands Technical Death metal style is influenced by Grindcore. The band is famous for its outrageously guttural vocals, bottom-heavy guitar foundation, blistering speed, unparalleled brutality, sophisticated songwriting, complex time changes, guitar acrobatics, and frequent breakdowns.
The band has had a noticeable influence on the Deathcore genre.
- Current members
- Frank Mullen – vocals (1988–1998, 2002–present)
- Terrance Hobbs – lead guitar (1988–1998, 2002–present)
- Guy Marchais – guitars (1988–1990, 2003–present)
- Derek Boyer – bass guitar (2004–present)
- Dave Culross – drums (1996–1998, 2012–present)
- Former members
- Doug Cerrito – guitar (1990–1998)
- Chris Richards – bass guitar (1991–1998)
- Doug Bohn – drums (1994–1996)
- Josh Barohn – bass guitar (1988–1991, 2002–2004)
- Mike Smith – drums (1988–1994, 2002–2012)
- Live members
- Bill Robinson – vocals (2012)