Vocalist Angela Gossow told the band's website that:
"I experimented quite a bit with doubling vocal lines on the last album, which I now feel kind of took personality and vocal attack away. So this time it's the classic, one-vocal-track, no-frills, no-effects approach.
I put a lot of work and emotions into the lyrics, some of them actually made me cry, most of them made me very, very angry. They deal with the pain and losses we cause each other. To balance these gloomy themes out, we managed to write some lyrics in the vein of 'We Will Rise' — you know, fight songs! There is not only suffering and injustice in this world, but also hope, love and friendship.
Guitarist Michael Amott described it as:
"...the ultimate Arch Enemy album!!! To me, this album sounds like the perfect mix of melody and brutality. This album is an organic and honest statement from the band — it's pure fucking metal at its absolute best, the Arch Enemy way! Producer Fredrik Nordström did a killer mix on the record — the sound is big and intense!
Rise of the Tyrant debuted at number 84 on the Billboard 200, selling around 8,900 copies. This surpasses Doomsday Machine, making it the band's highest-charting effort yet.
- "Blood on Your Hands" - 4:41
- "The Last Enemy" - 4:15
- "I Will Live Again" - 3:32
- "In This Shallow Grave" - 4:54
- "Revolution Begins" - 4:11
- "Rise of the Tyrant" - 4:33
- "The Day You Died" - 4:52
- "Intermezzo Liberté" (instrumental) - 2:51
- "Night Falls Fast" - 3:18
- "The Great Darkness" - 4:46
- "Vultures" - 6:35
- Arch Enemy
- Angela Gossow − vocals
- Michael Amott − guitar, keyboards
- Christopher Amott − guitar
- Sharlee D'Angelo − bass guitar
- Daniel Erlandsson − drums
- Produced by Fredrik Nordström and Michael Amott; co-produced by Daniel Erlandsson
- Mixed by Fredrik Nordström
- Engineered by Patrik J. Sten
- Mastered by Peter In De Betou
- All music arranged by Michael Amott and Daniel Erlandsson. Drum arrangements by Daniel Erlandsson. Vocal arrangements by Angela Gossow. Additional arrangements by Arch Enemy.
- Artwork by Niklas Sundin