|Release||November 16, 1988|
April 29, 2014 (Remastered)
|Recorded||Morrisound Recording, Tampa, Florida, USA|
|Label||Combat, Relapse (Remastered)|
Leprosy is the second album by death metal band Death, released in 1988. Notably different in tone and quality from the 1987 debut, it is the first example of Scott Burns' work heard on many of the death metal and grindcore albums of that era. The cover is featured in Metal: A Headbanger's Journey.
In a death metal special by the German "Rock Hard" Magazine, Leprosy was voted the no. 1 of the 25 most important death metal albums of all time. A re-issue of the album is in the works via Perseverance Holdings, Ltd. and Relapse Records.
The title track "Leprosy" was covered by the blackened death metal band Akercocke on their 2007 album Antichrist. Dutch melodic death metal band Callenish Circle covered "Pull the Plug" as a bonus on their Flesh Power Dominion album, released in 2002; shortly thereafter, Norwegians Zyklon also recorded "Plug" to be used as a bonus track. Finnish thrash metal band Mokoma covered the track "Open Casket", with lyrics in Finnish and titled "Avoin Hauta", on their EP Viides Vuodenaika. "Pull the Plug" was also covered by American band Revocation.
- All music written by Chuck Schuldiner and Rick Rozz, unless stated. All lyrics written by Chuck Schuldiner. All songs published by MUTILATION MUSIC (BMI).
|4.||"Left to Die"||4:35|
|5.||"Pull the Plug"||4:25|
|8.||"Choke on It"||5:54|
- 2008 Century Media remastered digipak version
|9.||"Open Casket" (Live)||4:49|
|10.||"Choke on It" (Live)||5:50|
|11.||"Left to Die" (Live)||4:35|
|12.||"Pull the Plug" (Live)||4:26|
|13.||"Forgotten Past" (Live)||4:33|
- Chuck Schuldiner – Guitar, Bass (uncredited), Vocals
- Rick Rozz – Guitar
- Terry Butler – Bass (did not play on the album, but was credited for it)
- Bill Andrews – Drums
- Recorded at Morrisound Recording, Tampa, Florida, USA
- Produced by Dan Johnson
- Engineered by Scott Burns
- Mastered by Michael Fuller at Fullersound, Miami, Florida, USA
- Edward Repka – Artwork
- Eric Greif – Management
- Frank White – Photography
- David Bett – Art Direction
Despite being both credited and pictured on this album, Chuck Schuldiner said that he handled the bass parts not Terry Butler, who only joined the band right after the recording sessions of "Leprosy" were completed. So, this means that Spiritual Healing was Butler's only proper recording with Death.
- ↑ Primitive Ways as registered at BMI.com, the percentage filed is 75% Schuldiner, 25% DeLillo (Rozz)
- ↑ Death (Official), facebook page administered by Relapse Records and Eric Greif (the lawyer for Chuck Schuldiner's Estate), (retrieved November 18, 2011)
- ↑ Death (2) - Leprosy (CD, Album) at Discogs. Discogs.com (June 2, 2008). Retrieved on October 13, 2011.