|Down IV Part I – The Purple EP|
|Release||September 18, 2012|
|Label||Down Records, Independent Label Group|
Down IV Part I – The Purple EP is the first EP by sludge metal band Down. It was released on September 18, 2012. It is the first album featuring bassist Pat Bruders due to the departure of former bassist Rex Brown in 2011, and the last to feature guitarist Kirk Windstein, who left in 2013.
In January 2012, Philip Anselmo announced that the band have been recording songs in the studio since October 2011. The band plans to release a series of EPs over the next few years. On May 21, 2012, Down performed "Misfortune Teller" for the first time in North Carolina. On July 26, 2012, another new song, "Witchtripper" was made available for streaming. It was made available for purchase on iTunes on July 31, 2012. The band revealed the artwork and title of their first EP to be Down IV Part I – The Purple EP in July 2012.
Lyrics and styleEdit
With the EP, the band decided to go back to its roots and earlier style of song writing that was most prominent on the band's debut album. Much of the work was done at Anselmo's barn named "Nodferatu's Lair", where the band recorded their entire second album, Down II: A Bustle in Your Hedgerow. Influences such as Black Sabbath, Trouble and Witchfinder General would play a significant role in the writing process with the EP containing traces of doom metal and southern rock influences, giving the EP a dark, raw and ominous feel.
Anselmo described the album as:
"very stripped down. Nothing flashy. Straight to the point… really just DOWN music. If you liked the first record, the demos… something like that… This record, we're pretty dead straight and honest and on the money as far as making it as simple and direct as possible and I think we did that. . . It has that practice-room vibe to it. We didn't really try and fucking slick it out and anything. We went the more raw route, as far as an approach."
The lyrics tackle subjects outside of just personal experiences unlike most of the band's previous work, exploring such themes as the faith and imperfection of mankind, and cultural belief systems.
|4.||"The Curse Is a Lie"||6:00|
|5.||"This Work Is Timeless"||3:43|
- Philip Anselmo − lead vocals
- Pepper Keenan − guitar
- Kirk Windstein − guitar
- Patrick Bruders − bass
- Jimmy Bower − drums
- Additional musicians
- Ross Karpelman – keyboards
|2012||U.S. Billboard 200||35|
|UK Albums Chart||57|
- ↑ PHILIP ANSELMO Talks New DOWN EP, Upcoming Solo Album (Audio). Blabbermouth (2012-08-21). Retrieved on 2012-09-13.
- ↑ DOWN To Release 'EP One' In September. Blabbermouth (2012-01-12). Retrieved on 2012-09-13.
- ↑ DOWN Performs New Song In North Carolina; Video Available. Blabbermouth (2012-05-23). Retrieved on 2012-09-13.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 DOWN: New Song 'Witchtripper' Available For Streaming. Blabbermouth (2012-07-26). Retrieved on 2012-09-13.
- ↑ https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/witchtripper-single/id549720544
- ↑ DOWN: 'Witchtripper' Available On iTunes. Blabbermouth (2012-08-01). Retrieved on 2012-09-13.
- ↑ DOWN: New EP Title, Cover Artwork Revealed. Blabbermouth (2012-07-27). Retrieved on 2012-09-13.