Cattle Decapitation is an American deathgrind band from San Diego, California, formed in 1996. The band's current line-up includes Travis Ryan (vocals), Josh Elmore (guitar), Dave McGraw (drums), and Derek Engemann (bass guitar). Cattle Decapitation has released six albums, their most recent being The Anthropocene Extinction (2015).
Originally founded in 1996, Cattle Decapitation's songs protest the mistreatment and consumption of animals, the abuse of the environment and touch subjects such as misanthropy and genocide of the human race. Much of their music is based on putting humans in the situations that animals are subjected to (animal testing, slaughter, etc.). While the band started with an entirely vegetarian lineup, only two current members are vegetarian: Travis Ryan and Josh Elmore.
Their 2002 album To Serve Man saw controversy in Germany, where distribution company SPV refused to handle the album due to its graphic cover. The cover of the 2004 album Humanure, featuring a cow excreting human remains, was reportedly censored without permission from the label in some outlets. Record store owners did not display the album, making it difficult for customers to find and buy it.
Metal author and journalist Garry Sharpe-Young once acknowledged the band as "one of the few metal bands whose message hits as hard as their music".
In August 2009, Cattle Decapitation parted ways with long-time bassist Troy Oftedal because of "musical and personal differences". Cattle Decapitation's latest album, The Anthropocene Extinction, was released in 2015.
Cattle Decapitation has toured with many death metal bands including, Suffocation, Cryptopsy, The Black Dahlia Murder, Deicide, Behemoth, Hate Eternal, Krisiun and Job for a Cowboy. The band also participated in Metal Blade Record's Scion A/V Showcase in late 2012.
|Date of Release||Title||Label|
|1996||The Mighty Death Pop! (demo)||Self-released|
|1999||Human Jerky||Three One G|
|2000||Homovore||Three One G|
|2000||¡Decapitacion! (EP)||Accident Prone|
|2002||To Serve Man||Metal Blade Records|
|2004||Humanure||Metal Blade Records|
|2005||Cattle Decapitation / Caninus (split EP)||War Torn Records|
|2006||Karma.Bloody.Karma||Metal Blade Records|
|2009||The Harvest Floor||Metal Blade Records|
|2012||Monolith of Inhumanity||Metal Blade Records|
|2015||The Anthropocene Extinction||Metal Blade Records|
- Travis Ryan – vocals (1997–present)
- Josh Elmore – guitar (2001–present)
- Dave McGraw – drums (2007–present)
- Derek Engemann – bass (2010–present)
- Belisario Dimuzio - rhythm guitar (2016-present)
- Scott Miller – guitar, vocals (1996)
- Gabe Serbian – guitar, drums (1996–2001)
- Dave Astor – drums, bass (1996–2003)
- Michael Laughlin – drums (2003–2007)
- Troy Oftedal – bass (1998–2009)
- Kevin Talley – live drums (2006)
- Rahsaan Davis – live bass (2009)
- ↑ http://www.chartattack.com/reviews/65591/cattle-decaptitation-%E2%80%94-the-harvest-floor
- ↑ http://www.peta2.com/OUTTHERE/o-cattledecap.asp
- ↑ http://www.nuvo.net/indianapolis/cattle-decapitation-vegetarian-death-metal/Content?oid=1357700#.UtWX6WRDsyo
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Metal: The Definitive Guide, page 169
- ↑ Sanford, Jay Allen (2008-11-19). Cattle Decapitation Veggie Burgers, plus Assassin Strikes Again, History of San Diego Music Parts 1 thru 7. San Diego Reader. Retrieved on 2008-121-9.
- ↑ Cattle Decapitation: Humanure Album Cover 'Censored'. Blabbermouth.net (2004-08-30). Retrieved on 2008-12-09.
- ↑ metalweb interview
- ↑ http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=125163
- ↑ http://www.bravewords.com/news/188868