|Origin||Chicago, Illinois, USA|
|Label(s)||Metal Blade Records, Century Media Records|
|Homepage||Broken Hope facebook|
Broken Hope is an American death metal from Chicago, Illinois.
Broken Hope was founded in 1988. They were known as an accomplished mid-paced style death metal band with low-pitched growling vocals. As a band, they spanned roughly twelve years, recording five albums between 1991 and 1999.
The early lineup of Broken Hope was Joe Ptacek (vocals), Jeremy Wagner (rhythm guitar), Brian Griffin (lead guitar), and Ryan Stanek (drums). They scored a deal with the then-fledging Grindcore/RedLight Label and recorded their debut album, Swamped in Gore.
Following the release, Metal Blade Records signed the band, who released their second album, The Bowels of Repugnance, in 1993. The band's third album, 1995's Repulsive Conception, reached CMJ New Music Monthly's Metal Top 25 chart, as did the follow-up, 1997's Loathing, an album which explored topics such as political domination, necrophilia, and safe sex.
The band moved to newly formed indie Martyr Records for their fifth album, Grotesque Blessings, released in 1999. Rumors of the band's demise circulated at this time,This also marks the last album Joe Ptacek was ever on and by April 2002, Broken Hope disbanded.
In a 2007 interview, Wagner explained that several factors, including band dysfunction and a lack of support in Europe from Metal Blade, contributed to the split. Wagner added that the band members had met "face to face" for the first time in five years and discussed a possible reunion.
On January 20, 2010, vocalist Joe Ptacek committed suicide. He was 37 years old.
- Current line-up
- Chuck Wepfer - Guitars
- Jeremy Wagner - Guitars (1988-2001, 2012-present)
- Shaun Glass - Bass (1995-1998, 2012-present)
- Mike Miczek - Drums (2011-2012)
- Damian "Tom" Leski - Vocals (2012-present)
- Former line-up
- Ed Hughes - Bass (1988-1994)
- Ryan Stanek - Drums (1988-1997)
- Dave Duff - Guitars (1988-1990)
- Joe Ptacek - Vocals (1988-2001)
- Brian Griffin - Guitars (1991-2001)
- Duane Timlin - Drums (1997-1999)
- Mike Zwicke - Bass (1999)
- Ryan Schimmenti - Bass (1999)
- Brian Hobbie - Bass (1999-2001)
- Larry DeMumbrum - Drums (1999)
- Sean Baxter - Drums (1999-2001)
- Scott Creekmore - Drums, Vocals (1999-2001)
- Studio Albums
- Swamped in Gore (1991)
- The Bowels of Repugnance (1993)
- Repulsive Conception (1995)
- Loathing (1997)
- Grotesque Blessings (1999)
- Omen of Disease (2013)
- Extended Plays
- Hobo Stew (1993)
- Broken Hope (1990)
- Demo 2 (1990)
- Demo '93 (1993)