Alestorm is a folk/power metal band from Perth, Scotland, formed under the name Battleheart in 2004. Their music is characterized by a pirate theme, for which reason they describe their style as "True Scottish Pirate Metal". After releasing two EPs, they were signed by Napalm Records in 2007 and renamed themselves to Alestorm. Their debut album was released on January 25, 2008.
Originally starting out as a two piece band Gavin Harper and Christopher Bowes, Battleheart recorded an independent EP in Gavin's home studio in early 2006. The band was soon rounded out after some early rotation by bassist Dani Evans and drummer Doug Swierczek. Battleheart played their first live show only five days after the members had all met together for the first time.
A second EP was recorded the same year, with Evans now featuring in the recording line-up (the drums were again programmed). Later in the year, the song "Set Sail And Conquer" from the EP was featured on Metal Hammer's "Battle Metal V" cd with other such bands as Týr, Firewind, Hammerfall and Blind Guardian.
Dani Evans briefly switched instrument to rhythm guitar with Jason Heeny replacing him on bass, but within a few months Heeny was out and Evans returned to his previous role.
In early 2007, drummer Doug Swierczek departed from the band and was replaced by the band's friend Ian Wilson of the band Catharist. Later in the year the band changed their name to Alestorm and were signed by Napalm Records. A debut album, "Captain Morgan's Revenge" was released in early 2008. The song "Captain Morgan's Revenge" was also featured on "Metal Hammer's Battle Metal VI".
- Current members
- Christopher Bowes – lead vocals, keyboards, (2004–present)
- Dani Evans – guitar, bass guitar (2006-2008), backing vocals (2006–present)
- Gareth Murdock – bass guitar, backing vocals (2008–present)
- Peter Alcorn - drums (2010–present)
Horse - Stage Entertainment.
- Session members
- Elliot Vernon - keyboards, backing vocals (2011–present)
- Alex Tabisz – drums (2008)
- Former members
- Gavin Harper – guitar, backing vocals (2004–2008)
- Doug Swierczek – drums (2006–2007)
- Robin Hellier - lead vocals (2006)
- Ian Wilson – drums, percussion (2007–2008, 2008–2010)
- Tim Shaw – guitar, backing vocals (2008)
- Heavy Metal Pirates (2008)